There are two diploma sizes. Students receiving a bachelor’s, master’s, educational specialist degree or a certificate will receive an 8 ½ by 11-inch diploma. Students receiving a doctorate will receive a 13 by 17 inch diploma. All diplomas are printed as portrait style.
If you want a name change to be reflected on your diploma, you must update it in the student records system. Your name must be changed by the deadline provided in an email sent to your student account regarding commencement.
According to University policy, legal documentation is required verifying your new name as well as the name you were previously known as in the MU records system. The documentation must include your:
- date of birth
If the documentation you submit does not contain all three criteria, you will have to submit additional documentation that does. The following are acceptable documents:
- current, government-issued ID card such as a driver’s license, military ID or passport
- current, valid Social Security Card with your new name
- federally recognized Indian tribe’s enrollment card or a US Bureau of Indian Affairs identification card containing the new name, photograph and signiture of the individual
- certified copy of a court order, a marriage certificate or a dissolution decree reflecting the new name in full
Students may abbreviate their middle name without documentation. However, proof is required if a student is adding, deleting or changing an initial to their middle name.
Complete the name change form and submit it along with the appropriate documentation.
Receiving My Diploma
Diplomas are automatically mailed via the United States Postal Service to students who have a permanent U.S. address on file, 6-8 weeks after commencement.
For students with an international address or who wish to receive their diploma differently:
- You can provide a prepaid label for an alternative carrier, such as FedEx, DHL, or UPS.
- You may request to pick up your diploma in person at the University Registrar’s office.
- You may request to have your diploma sent to a campus address.
To request any of the above alternative options, email email@example.com from your University email account.
To order a duplicate diploma, complete the duplicate diploma order form and submit it to the Office of the University Registrar.
If you have questions regarding updating your permanent mailing address or your diploma name, please contact Diploma@missouri.edu.
Can’t open PDF files? Download Adobe Acrobat Reader.